Thursday 12 February 2009

Rio de Janeiro: go to the top of the class...

My friends said it. The guidebooks said it. In fact, anyone who's ever been has said it:

Rio is the world's most spectacular city, with the most beautiful people - who know how to squeeze more life and fun out of every day and night than anyone else (and, from what we've seen, days can be pretty damn tough for many of those that call the Cidade Maravilhosa, "Marvelous City", home). 

And they were right.

We've lived it up to the max., and loved it up to the max. So far it's loved us back.

The people we've met have been warm and kind, willingly sharing tips on things to do, places to go and stuff to see. How else, for example, would we have ended up with 3,000 Cariocas at one of the Samba Schools preparing for Carnival? 

Rio is also perhaps the world's first clothing optional city. The locals work very hard to look good, and it pays off. At the beach, but also away from it, the sensation of one's jaw scraping along the mosaiced marble pavements is an odd, but not unpleasant, one. Really, Leblon, our nearby stretch of perfect golden sand, looks like a casting for a Bruce Webber shoot at 5 on a Sunday afternoon.

I vowed I wasn't going to be seduced by Rio's charms, but I have been. How could I not? Afterall, few other cities have afforded me such moments of wonder as this.

Yes, I know I waxed lyrically about Cape Town - and it remains one of my favourite places - but for sheer beauty, fun and her powers of seduction, Rio goes to the top of the class. 

I think I might stay.

No comments: