Thursday 19 February 2009

The kindness of strangers.

I've said it before, but the people I'm meeting on this trip are ensuring that already wonderful destinations are proving even more rewarding and fun. Rio has been no exception. 

Knocking on wood as I write this, so far I've met only kind and generous Cariocas who, for example, have invited me to join them for drinks, dinners and parties - and through them I have met others. Very quickly, they have become friends. 

The Sambodromo is an incredible Carnival experience. It provides much of the colourful imagery of the celebrations broadcast around the world: tens of thousands of people partying as the most extravagant floats on the planet go past. But it's not necessarily something I'd do on my own! So, an invitation last night to join some guys 'in the know' who are going on Sunday is very welcome indeed. 

(I should add, however, that I'm keeping my wits about me and being careful not to let my guard down too much in this wonderful and highly seductive city).

No comments: