Tuesday 6 January 2009

It's a bug's life.


A fair percentage of our planet's insect life seems to call Africa home. It is EVERYWHERE, in all shapes and three sizes: large, extra large and gigantic.

All the lodges have been clean but insects still rule the roost in every nook and cranny. Look closely, that twig on your windowsill may not be what it seems.

Hammerstein Lodge was plagued with huge, aggressive red wasps. Passing under a tree I was stung three times in quick succession. Like a red-hot needle being jabbed into my skin, I got away pronto as they release a pheromone telling their mates to do the same.

The upside of this abundant fauna is the amazing sound it makes at dusk and all through the night - and which for me is so much a part of Africa. It sends me off to sleep and makes it worth the price of being bitten or stung now and again...

No comments: