Friday 13 March 2009

A sigh of relief.

I've had a rather difficult and tense relationship this week with the consulate of an embassy I'll shortly be visiting. (Said country will remain nameless until I've visited, so as not to tempt fate).

In London it usually takes three days to arrange a visa for this country. With a delayed flight back from Brazil, by the time I got to the embassy Monday, it was closed. Tuesday: I got there and a sign read: 'National Holiday - Embassy closed.' (When I rang eight weeks ago, I was assured there were no holidays this week). Wednesday: the embassy was open, accepted my application and said I could collect my papers Friday afternoon.

When I returned this afternoon, another sign outside read: 'Today - Embassy closed.' My heart missed a beat. 

I am due to fly tomorrow night, Saturday, and knew they would not be open during the day. And they had my passport. 

Thinking of a Plan B, I called the agency who've handled the land-only itinerary to get them to look into a last minute one-way flight Monday night (unfortunately, this is not an easy country to reach...)

I decided to chance it and return at three p.m. Thankfully, the embassy had reopened, I was able to collect my passport and visa, and I can now fly tomorrow, per Plan A.

Relieved does not begin to describe how I feel.

No comments: