Friday 1 May 2009

The final part.

My flight to London leaves shortly.

After 146 days, 27 flights, 11 national border crossings and many miles on the road, I can’t adequately describe how I feel right now.

The past five months have afforded me incredible personal freedom, enabling me perspective, happiness, experiences and new friendships like no other period of my life.

I’ve partied under the stars in Rio; with the stars in Buenos Aires; gazed at icebergs the size of cities in Antarctica; air ballooned over ancient temples in Myanmar; risked life and limb on the streets of Kathmandu; snorkeled over pristine reefs in the Philippines; flown at dawn over one of the world’s great game reserves; para-glided off Cape Town’s Table Mountain, and enjoyed quiet contemplation in ancient monasteries in the Himalayas of Bhutan.

It’s been quite a journey and an unforgettable chapter of my life. I feel very fortunate.

So, where next? Back to work for a while – rat-race-some-more, I suppose – but Papua New Guinea, Mali, Beirut, Syria, Samoa and Panama all beckon...


End of chapter one.


No comments: